Thursday, May 6, 2010

Revenge of the Sith?

So on Tuesday, John and I went to our Doctor appointment where they did our first Sonogram. We'd had an unltrasound previously, when we got the first picture of our peanut. When we had first scheduled the Sonogram appointment I kept wondering what the difference in the two tests were. Internet wasn't really a help since everywhere kept telling me that the Sonogram and the Ultrasound was the same thing essentially.

Granted, it was the same sort of machine, the same big wand with lube. However, the difference between the sonogram and the ultrasound? The ultrasound, you just get a picture of the baby. The sonogram however we got a video! Our babies first television appearance! It was incredible seeing inside, getting a peak at the peanut who isn't as much of a peanut anymore. In fact, one of the first things John said when the baby appeared on the screen was "It's sure gotten bigger since the last time". Growing by leaps and bounds the baby has grown 5 cm in the month since we had our ultrasound, and is now roughly the length of a tube of lipstick.

As we watched the TV screen where our baby was we could see the heartbeat fluttering, a strong 172 bpm. I could see the little arms moving around, and the little legs tucked in and crossed at the ankles. The sonographer had to push on my stomach quite a while to get the baby to move so she could get all her measurements, which was when she said "Stubborn little sucker doesn't want to move around for me.". We saw the Spine, the stomach, the bladder, the brain, the placenta (which they said was well placed and John praised me for it as though I had a say in the matter), and we saw the skeletal structure. It was this last item of the skeletal structure that made John and I cock our heads and say "The baby looks like Darth Maul".

For anyone unfamiliar with the Star Wars movies, Darth Maul is a Sith (bad guys) apprentice to what will become the evil emporer. Darth Maul is the one who kills Quigong Jin (Liam Neeson's character) and who carries the double light saber that had all the Star Wars fans going gaga when the movie first came out. Darth Maul only appears in the 1st movie of the Prequels otherwise known as Episode I - The Phantom Menace. Here's a link to a picture in case someone doesn't know who I'm talking about. http://www.stargods.org/ClintonDarthMaul.jpg

Now wouldn't you know that the image of the skeletal structure would be the one picture we got from this sonogram. So the 2nd picture we've gotten for the baby makes it look like an evil sith apprentice. Granted Ray Park, the actor that played Darth Maul, is one of my favorite action actors (He played Toad in X-Men and Edgar in Heroes); but still I don't want to put that picture up in my house if it's going to remind me of Darth Maul all the time.

So even though the picture of my baby creeps me out there were some really great things I took away from that appointment. The first and most important is that everything with the baby looks to be fine and healthy. Brain, Spine, Heartbeat all look strong and just where it should be. Second, the nurse at the Dr.'s office didn't piss me off this time. Third, I shouldn't eat a big lunch before I am going to get weighed. Fourth, my baby can move it's little arms, and even though I can't feel it yet, is having a dandy time moving around in there. Fifth, baby appears to be just as stubborn as it's mama. And last but not least, the force is strong with this one =D.

No comments:

Post a Comment