Friday, May 21, 2010

The Shape Eater

I thought I would post this story to give everyone an idea of the weirdness my husband is having to deal with. I think John is finally coming to terms with just how crazy his wife really is. Here is an example.

The other day, I believe it was Wednesday, it was my turn to cook but I wasn't feeling up to it. I had sent John to the grocery store that day to restock on healthy foods for me, and he picked up one of the roasted chickens for our dinner. So all we needed for dinner was sides. John very lovingly agreed to make the sides for our dinner and asked me what I wanted. I responded that I wanted spinach (a dish I regularly eat), and macaroni and cheese (a dish I usually eat by itself and not as a side, but I was craving mac and cheese). John was a tad taken aback by the mac and cheese request but went to go make it anyway.

He went to the pantry, and I followed him and showed him where the mac and cheese was. We had three boxes, two that were the shell forms and one of the regular macaroni that was white cheddar. I picked the white cheddar because I don't eat the shell macaroni. I explained to John that when I was little I loved the shell macaroni and ate too much of it once and made myself sick, and I haven't been able to eat it since. To this he said "But honey, they're the same ingredients just with shell macaroni".

So I explained to him "Honey, not only am I a texture eater, but I'm a shape eater too. For example, Cheerios are a tastier cereal to me because of the little doughnut circular shape. Finger sandwhiches are better than regular sandwhiches because they're cut up into the little triangles. And regular macaroni is better then shell macaroni because they are little tubes and not mini cups that hold the cheese in."

I know how bizarre I am about my food, and my husband thought he understood all the little piccadillos of my eating habits. Yet, as I stood there explaining to him that the shapes of food make it taste better to me, he just kind of looked at me as though I had sprouted snakes out of my head. But I figure, if I can handle him eating apple cores and hating condiments then he can handle the texture and shape eating that I do. Love you honey!

No comments:

Post a Comment