Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Saga continues

Further to my previous post on the "Attack of the Killer Hormones" now the saga continues. Everyone continually asks me how I'm feeling? How's the baby? Well, the baby is doing fine, mommy is feeling very well. The sickness has lessened, it usually only happens now right after I wake up or if I eat to much. But there are other things which are making my life miserable now.

The main complaint is my sinuses. A strange side effect of pregnancy that they say 20 - 30 percent of women experience is sinus congestion. For the past three weeks I thought I'd just been having the most horrible allergic reaction to an Austin spring that I've ever had. Now I realize it's actually a reaction to my baby. The official explanation is "Higher amounts of estrogen during pregnancy can contribute to swelling in the mucous membranes lining the nose and even cause you to make more mucus. Also, the amount of blood in your body increases and your blood vessels expand during pregnancy, which can lead to swollen nasal membranes as well."

The reality is that about 3/4th's of my day is spent not being able to breathe through my nose. And it doesn't stop there! Since my sinuses are inflamed it's causing earaches, vision problems, and mouth pain that was so bad it sent me to the Dentist on Friday. It's not only uncomfortable for me, but for others as well. It's the people around me that have to listen to me blowing my nose, which these days sounds like Chewbacca calling for Han Solo. I have a wookie mating call lodged in my nose.

I'm also still tired all the time it seems, and now I'm getting heartburn more frequently. As my husband now asks "Aside from the sinus congestion, mouth pain, ear aches, vision problems, tiredness, morning sickness, and heartburn...how are you feeling today honey?" This is why the internet lied to me! The internet said I would start feeling better! Does this sound better to you? Maybe I need to take a sound clip and loop it, of my wookie mating call nose blowing, and send it to all those folks who run the pregnancy websites with a letter telling them they need to be more honest with their websites.

The upside to all this, my nails are growing like crazy, and my nutty cravings have lessened so now I can eat more of the things I'm supposed to be eating. The other upside is that the baby is doing fine, and at the end of this John and I are going to have a beautiful little being that's all ours. However, that end result is still so far off that the pains I'm going through are still out weighing the wonderful positives. But I'm hanging in there.

No comments:

Post a Comment